Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy 2019
The 47th Willie Clancy Summer School, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Ireland. Saturday 6th July to Sunday 14th July, 2019.
Sráid na Cathrach, Co. an Chláir 6ú Iúil - 14ú Iúil.
Accommodation and Transport.
Students will have to arrange their own accommodation and transport.
The Accommodation List is now closed for 2018.
ENROLMENT, FEES AND CLASS VENUES
Please note that dates, times and venues below apply to the 2018 Summer School. Updates will be posted in due course.
Except for Uilleann pipes, the first opportunity for enrolment is on Saturday 7th July from 2.00pm to 6.00pm in the Community Hall, Miltown Malbay. Enrolment will continue on Sunday, 8th July from 4.30pm to 7.30pm. Students may also enrol at the Community Hall or at the various venues on Monday morning at 9.00 am.
Piping students only should pre-register by contacting Na Píobairí Uilleann at 15 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1. Tel: 01-8730093
All other non piping enquiries should be directed to the contact details on the Home page.
The fee of €140 (Euro) covers all classes, workshops (morning), lectures (afternoons), and evening recitals.
Registered students are entitled to reduced admission to all céilithe.
Registered students have free admission to lectures, recitals, Irish Dance & Tap Dance, the Éirinn is Alba concert, Irish and Scottish Gaelic language classes, and reduced admission to all céilithe.
REGISTRATION FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE ADMISSION TO SATURDAY 13th JULY CONCERT.
Fee payable on registering in Miltown Malbay. Cheques must be made payable to: Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy.
All students must arrange their own accommodation and transport.
Admission to the classes and workshops is by WEEKLY REGISTRATION ONLY. It is not possible to register for these on a daily basis. Admission to lectures, and other events is, however, open to the general public for a small charge, payable at the door, prior to the event.
Classes will be graded in all instruments.
Please note: There are no classes for absolute beginners in instruments with the exception of the uilleann pipes.
Beginners may attend the Dúchas an Cheoil (Scope of Irish Music), Traditional Singing Workshops, or the Dancing Classes.
All Classes and Workshops will be held daily from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
INSTRUMENT CLASSES & WORKSHOPS LOCATIONS:
Please note the changes of venues for Fiddle, Harmonica and Banjo classes and the Traditional Singing and Dúchas an Cheoil workshops.
• FIDDLE CLASSES will be held at the GAA Clubhouse, Haran's House (opposite GAA Grounds) and private houses in Miltown
Malbay. Demonstrations by noted fiddlers will be a feature of the fiddle tuition for the week.
Further contact details: 086-818 5268 and 087-950 0006.
Grading will take place at the GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay.
• WHISTLE AND FLUTE CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Miltown Malbay (further details at
registration). Grading will take place at the National School.
• CONCERTINA CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Mullagh Road & Ennis Road, Miltown Malbay
(further details at registration). Grading will take place at the National School.
• BANJO CLASSES will be held in Mullagh Village. Further contact details: 086-360 5752 and 087-465 2066
Grading will take place at the Sports Centre, Mullagh.
• BUTTON ACCORDION & MELODEON CLASSES will be graded at Quilty Tavern, Quilty. Classes will be held at the
following venues in Quilty: G.A.A. Clubhouse, National School, Credit Union House, Leon Centre and Quilty Tavern.
• PIPING CLASSES and PIPERS WORKSHOP will be held in West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road, and in private houses.
Na Piobairí Uilleann, 15 Henrietta St., Dublin 1. Tel. 01-873 0093.
• HARMONICA CLASSES including some workshops on the Jaw Harp will be held at Airfield Portacabin, Spanish Point.
Further contact details: 087-646 1911
Grading will take place at Airfield Portacabin.
• HARP CLASSES will be held in private houses on the Flag Road, Miltown Malbay.
Grading will take place at the Mill Marquee at the GAA Grounds.
• TRADITIONAL SINGING WORKSHOPS at the Church of Ireland Community Centre, Spanish Point. These workshops will
examine the Irish and English language song traditions and traditional singers will demonstrate aspects of these traditions. Conducted by Brian Mullen and Ciarán Ó Gealbháin.
• DÚCHAS AN CHEOIL/SCOPE OF IRISH MUSIC at the Church of Ireland Community Centre, Spanish Point. A week long
introduction to the Irish traditional music heritage. Conducted by Paddy Glackin and Cathal Goan. This course is accredited by the University of Limerick through the Blas Summer School. See www.blas.ie
Further contact details for the Singing/Dúchas an Cheoil workshops: 086-877 3747 and 087-950 0006
• CONVERSATIONAL IRISH (beginners, intermediate, advanced) & Scots Gaelic (beginners) Classes: 2pm - 3pm National
School, Mullagh Road, Miltown Malbay.
• Moycullen Set, Paris Set, Valentia Right and Left Set, Ballure Set, Televara Set with Brooks Academy.
Venue: Community Centre, Miltown Malbay.
• Ballykeale Set, South Galway Set, Claddagh Set, Antrim Square Set, Merchant Set, with Mary Clancy and Mary
Kate Clancy. Venue: Armada Hotel, Spanish Point.
• Beginners steps for sets plus some Clare Sets with Paddy Neylon. Venue: Golf Club, Spanish Point.
• Conamara Sean-Nós Dancing with Mick Mulkerrin and Mairéad Casey. Venue: Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
• Old-Style Step Dancing with Patrick O’Dea and Noel Devery. Venue: GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay.
• Irish Step dance and American tap dance. Workshops with Kieran Jordan, Kevin Doyle and Aidan Vaughan, on 10th, 11th,
12th & 13th July from 2.30pm - 4.30pm, Mill Marque, GAA Grounds. This is a workshop exclusive to this year's Summer School, see here for more details.
List of Venues
1. Community Hall, Miltown Malbay
2. West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road
3. National School, Miltown Malbay
4. The Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown
5. GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay
6. Church of Ireland Community Centre,
7. Church of Ireland, Spanish Point
8. Armada Hotel, Spanish Point
9. Spanish Point Golf Club
10. Airfield, Spanish Point
11. Quilty Tavern, Quilty
12. GAA Clubhouse, Quilty
13. Quilty National School
© Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy 2018 Website: Tony Kearns www.tonykearns.net