Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy 2018
The 46th Willie Clancy Summer School, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Ireland. Saturday 7th July to Sunday 15th July, 2018.
Sráid na Cathrach, Co. an Chláir 7ú Iúil - 15ú Iúil.
Accommodation and Transport.
Students will have to arrange their own accommodation and transport.
A list of available accommodation can now be downloaded here.
The Bus Éireann timetable between Ennis and Miltown Malbay can be accessed at www.buseireann.ie/willyclancyfestival
ENROLMENT, FEES AND CLASS VENUES
Except for Uilleann pipes, the first opportunity for enrolment is on Saturday 7th July from 2.00pm to 6.00pm in the Community Hall, Miltown Malbay. Enrolment will continue on Sunday, 8th July from 4.30pm to 7.30pm. Students may also enrol at the Community Hall or at the various venues on Monday morning at 9.00 am.
Piping students only should pre-register by contacting Na Píobairí Uilleann at 15 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1. Tel: 01-8730093
All other non piping enquiries should be directed to the contact details on the Home page.
The fee of €140 (Euro) covers all classes, workshops (morning), lectures (afternoons), and evening recitals.
Registered students are entitled to reduced admission to all céilithe.
Registered students have free admission to lectures, recitals, Irish Dance & Tap Dance, the Éirinn is Alba concert, Irish and Scottish Gaelic language classes, and reduced admission to all céilithe.
REGISTRATION FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE ADMISSION TO SATURDAY 14th JULY CONCERT.
Fee payable on registering in Miltown Malbay. Cheques must be made payable to: Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy.
All students must arrange their own accommodation and transport.
Admission to the classes and workshops is by WEEKLY REGISTRATION ONLY. It is not possible to register for these on a daily basis. Admission to lectures, and other events is, however, open to the general public for a small charge, payable at the door, prior to the event.
Classes will be graded in all instruments.
Please note: There are no classes for absolute beginners in instruments with the exception of the uilleann pipes.
Beginners may attend the Dúchas an Cheoil (Scope of Irish Music), Traditional Singing Workshops, or the Dancing Classes.
All Classes and Workshops will be held daily from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
INSTRUMENT CLASSES & WORKSHOPS LOCATIONS:
• FIDDLE CLASSES will be held at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. Demonstrations by noted fiddlers will be a
feature of the fiddle tuition for the week.
• WHISTLE AND FLUTE CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Miltown Malbay (further details at
registration). Note: Grading will take place at the National School.
• CONCERTINA CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Mullagh Road & Ennis Road, Miltown Malbay
(further details at registration). Note: Grading will take place at the National School.
• BANJO CLASSES will be held at Haran's House, opposite GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
• BUTTON ACCORDION & MELODEON CLASSES will be graded at Quilty Tavern, Quilty. Classes will be held at the
following venues in Quilty: G.A.A. Clubhouse, National School, Credit Union House, Leon Centre and Quilty Tavern. Note: Grading will take place at the Quilty Tavern.
• PIPING CLASSES and PIPERS WORKSHOP will be held in West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road, and in private houses.
Na Piobairí Uilleann, 15 Henrietta St., Dublin 1. Tel. 01-873 0093.
• HARMONICA CLASSES including some workshops on the Jaw Harp will be held at Church of Ireland Community
Centre, Spanish Point.
• HARP CLASSES will be held at GAA Clubhouse, GAA Grounds and in private houses on the Flag Road, Miltown Malbay.
Note: Grading will take place at the Mill Marquee at the GAA Grounds.
• TRADITIONAL SINGING WORKSHOPS at St. Joseph’s Secondary School, Spanish Point. These will take the form of group
discussions. Traditional singers will demonstrate aspects of the Irish and English language song traditions. Conducted by Ian Lee and Brian Mullen.
• DÚCHAS AN CHEOIL/SCOPE OF IRISH MUSIC at St Joseph’s Secondary School, Spanish Point. A week long introduction
to the Irish traditional music heritage. Conducted by Paddy Glackin and Cathal Goan.
• CONVERSATIONAL IRISH (beginners, intermediate, advanced) & Scots Gaelic (beginners) Classes: 2pm - 3pm National
School, Mullagh Road, Miltown Malbay.
• Moycullen Set, Paris Set, Valentia Right and Left Set, Ballure Set, Televara Set with Brooks Academy.
Venue: Community Centre, Miltown Malbay.
• Ballykeale Set, South Galway Set, Claddagh Set, Antrim Square Set, Merchant Set, with Mary Clancy and Mary
Kate Clancy. Venue: Armada Hotel, Spanish Point.
• Beginners steps for sets plus some Clare Sets with Paddy Neylon. Venue: Golf Club, Spanish Point.
• Steps and rhythm of the Clare Set and battering with Aidan Vaughan and Betty McCoy. Venue: St Joseph’s Secondary
School, Spanish Point.
• Jig and Polka Sets from Sliabh Luachra and West Kerry with Timmy McCarthy. Venue: St. Joseph's Secondary School,
• Conamara Sean-Nós Dancing with Mick Mulkerrin and Mairéad Casey. Venue: Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
• Old-Style Step Dancing with Patrick O’Dea and Noel Devery. Venue: GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay.
• Irish Step dance and American tap dance. Workshops with Kieran Jordan, Kevin Doyle and Aidan Vaughan, on 10th, 11th,
12th & 13th July from 2.30pm - 4.30pm, Mill Marque, GAA Grounds. This is a workshop exclusive to this year's Summer School, see here for more details.
List of Venues
1. Community Centre
2. West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road
3. National School, Miltown Malbay
4. The Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown
5. GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay
6. Church of Ireland Community Centre,
7. St Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point
8. McAuley House, Spanish Point
9. Armada Hotel, Spanish Point
10. Spanish Point Golf Club
11. Bellbridge Hotel, Spanish Point
12. Quilty Tavern
13. GAA Clubhouse, Quilty
14. National School, Quilty
Source: Barry Dalby, East West Mapping.
© Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy 2018 Website: Tony Kearns www.tonykearns.net