Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy 2019
The 47th Willie Clancy Summer School, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Ireland. Saturday 6th July to Sunday 14th July, 2019.
Sráid na Cathrach, Co. an Chláir 6ú Iúil - 14ú Iúil.
Accommodation and Transport.
Students will have to arrange their own accommodation and transport.
A list of available accommodation can now be downloaded here.
For further information on accommodation please phone
065-708 5107; 065-708 4550; 065-708 4281
The Bus Éireann timetable between Ennis and Miltown Malbay can be accessed at www.buseireann.ie
ENROLMENT, FEES AND CLASS VENUES
Except for Uilleann pipes, the first opportunity for enrolment is on Saturday 6th July from 2.00pm to 6.00pm in the Community Hall, Miltown Malbay. Enrolment will continue on Sunday, 7th July from 4.30pm to 7.30pm. Students may also enrol at the Community Hall or at the various venues on Monday morning at 9.00 am.
Piping students only should pre-register by contacting Na Píobairí Uilleann at 15 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1. Tel: 01-8730093
All other non piping enquiries should be directed to the contact details on the Home page.
The fee of €140 (Euro) covers all classes, workshops (morning), lectures (afternoons), and evening recitals.
Registered students are entitled to reduced admission to all céilithe.
Registered students have free admission to lectures, recitals, Irish Dance & Tap Dance, the Éirinn is Alba concert, Irish and Scottish Gaelic language classes, and reduced admission to all céilithe.
REGISTRATION FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE ADMISSION TO SATURDAY 13th JULY CONCERT.
Fee payable on registering in Miltown Malbay. Cheques must be made payable to: Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy.
All students must arrange their own accommodation and transport.
Admission to the classes and workshops is by WEEKLY REGISTRATION ONLY. It is not possible to register for these on a daily basis. Admission to lectures, and other events is, however, open to the general public for a small charge, payable at the door, prior to the event.
Classes will be graded in all instruments.
Please note: There are no classes for absolute beginners in instruments with the exception of the uilleann pipes.
Beginners may attend the Dúchas an Cheoil (Scope of Irish Music), Traditional Singing Workshops, or the Dancing Classes.
All Classes and Workshops will be held daily from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
INSTRUMENT CLASSES & WORKSHOPS LOCATIONS:
• FIDDLE CLASSES will be held at St Joseph’s Secondary School, Spanish Point. Grading will take place at the St Joseph's.
• WHISTLE AND FLUTE CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Miltown Malbay (further details at
registration). Grading will take place at the National School.
• CONCERTINA CLASSES will be held in National School and private houses, Mullagh Road and private houses, Miltown Malbay
(further details at registration). Grading will take place at the National School.
• BANJO CLASSES will be held in Mullagh Village. Grading will take place at the Sports Centre, Mullagh.
• BUTTON ACCORDION & MELODEON CLASSES will be held at Quilty Tavern, Credit Union House, GAA Clubhouse and
National School, Quilty. Grading at Quilty Tavern.
• PIPING CLASSES and PIPERS WORKSHOP will be held in West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road, and in private houses.
Na Piobairí Uilleann, 15 Henrietta St., Dublin 1. Tel. 01-873 0093.
• HARMONICA CLASSES including some workshops on the Jaw Harp will be held at Church of Ireland Community
Centre, Spanish Point.
• HARP CLASSES will be held at the GAA Clubhouse, Bog Road, and private houses, Flag Road.
Grading will take place at Marquee, GAA Grounds.
• TRADITIONAL SINGING WORKSHOPS at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. These workshops will examine the
Irish and English language song traditions and traditional singers will demonstrate aspects of these traditions. Conducted by Brian
Mullen and Ciarán Ó Gealbháin.
• DÚCHAS AN CHEOIL/SCOPE OF IRISH MUSIC at St. Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point. A week long introduction
to the Irish traditional music heritage. Conducted by Paddy Glackin and Cathal Goan. This course is accredited by the University of
Limerick through the Blas Summer School. See www.blas.ie
Further contact details for the Singing/Dúchas an Cheoil workshops: 086-877 3747 and 087-950 0006
• CONVERSATIONAL IRISH (beginners, intermediate, advanced) & Scots Gaelic (beginners) Classes: 2pm - 3pm National
School, Mullagh Road, Miltown Malbay.
• Limerick Tumblers Set, Armagh Set, Doire Cholmcille Set, Mellery Lancers Set, Borlin Set with Brooks Academy.
Venue: Community Centre, Miltown Malbay.
• Ballyvourney Jig Set, Derrada Set, Ballykeale Set, Plain Set, Paris Set, with Mary Clancy and Mary Kate Clancy.
Venue: Armada Hotel, Spanish Point.
• Beginners steps for sets plus some Clare Sets with Paddy Neylon. Venue: Golf Club, Spanish Point.
• Steps and Rhythms of the Clare Sets and Battering with Aidan Vaughan and Betty McCoy. Venue: St. Joseph's Secondary
School, Spanish Point.
• Conamara Sean-Nós Dancing with Mick Mulkerrin and Mairéad Casey. Venue: Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown Malbay.
• Old-Style Step Dancing with Patrick O’Dea and Noel Devery. Venue: GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay.
• Appalachian Clogging – Step Dancing from the Southern Appalachian Mountains. Three workshops with Rosie Davis,
on 10th, 11th and 12th from 2.30pm - 4.30pm, Mill Marque, GAA Grounds. This is a workshop exclusive to this year's
List of Venues
1. Community Hall, Miltown Malbay
2. West Clare Resource Centre, Ballard Road
3. National School, Miltown Malbay
4. The Mill Marquee, GAA Grounds, Miltown
5. GAA Clubhouse, Miltown Malbay
6. Church of Ireland Community Centre,
7. Church of Ireland, Spanish Point
8. Armada Hotel, Spanish Point
9. Spanish Point Golf Club
10. Airfield, Spanish Point
11. Quilty Tavern, Quilty
12. GAA Clubhouse, Quilty
13. Quilty National School
© Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy 2019 Website: Tony Kearns www.tonykearns.net